Can I Work In Malta? (Non-EU)

30 Apr 2018

QUICK FACTS About Working In Malta
For Non EU students

  • Students will continue the current visa process.
  • Students can apply for a job licence if they stay longer than 12 weeks.
  • Students must be attending a course of at least 15 hours.
  • 20 hours of work per week cannot be exceeded.
  • The duration of the job licence will expire on the expiration date of the visa.
  • The employer will need to take responsibility for the student when s/he is on the job.  A declaration and an employment engagement form needs to be filled in by employer in order to take responsibility for the employment of the students.
  • The job licence will have the information of the employer and student; therefore, the student must have a job aligned in order to apply with jobs plus.
  • If the class attendance of the student falls under the 75% and the visa is revoked, the job licence will also be revoked.  However, if for any other reason a job licence is revoked, the student visa will still be valid unless there is any other reason.
  • Students still need to have Insurance (Guard Me) since they do not pay NI and therefore are not entitled to basic services such as use of public hospital. 
  • The student visa is granted for a maximum of 1 year visa.  Over 1 year, a student has to apply for the residency permit and apply for a job through that scheme.
  • It is the responsibility of the employer that the student work not more than 20 hours. 
  •  A student may change from a student visa and apply for a work permit after the job/study finishes.  Normal legal procedures apply.  


  • The application fee for the job licence is the following:
    • €150 to be paid on application
    • €80 to be paid on issue of licence. 

Chamber College cannot be held at fault should the job application be rejected.

Details of this policy and procedure may change and you are kindly advised to seek further information by clicking on the following link: Student Visa Policy 


3rd WEEK: The student must apply for his/her extension of Visa at the Visa Office in Floriana. This will take 3 to 4 weeks to be issued.
6th/7th WEEK: Once the visa is extended a Job License must be applied for (student must have already found a job). This will take between 4 to 7 weeks.
12th/13th WEEK: On the 13th week, once the job licence is issued, the students would be able to start working up to a maximum of 20 hours per week.